A Link to the Past
The Portland Women's Club Cornerstone
Many people who pass by and through this building have no idea that it was once the home of the Portland Women's Club. This cornerstone set in the wall reminds us and even sparks the public's interest in the building's history. Dilg tells the story of how it was preserved when the building changed hands.
As Told By...
Portland State University
Janice Dilg grew up in the original Northwest—Ohio—and moved to the New Northwest—Oregon—in 1977. After apprenticing for 3 years, she became a journeywoman cabinetmaker and woodworker for a decade. In 2001, she earned an MA in history from Portland State University, with a focus on the Pacific Northwest, women’s history, oral history, and legal history. Janice was the Project Director for the Century of Action: Oregon Women Vote, 1912-2012, teaches the Monumental Women Senior Capstone at PSU, and is the oral historian for the U.S. District Court of Oregon Historical Society Oral History Project. She was a founding member of the Oregon Women’s History Consortium, and the Northwest History Network, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of both organizations.